The City of Dayton's intern program was created to provide opportunities for college students to gain first-hand knowledge and understanding of governmental processes through pre-professional work experiences in various occupational fields.
As part of the regional 20 by 20 Initiative, the City of Dayton posts and hires all internship positions through the Southwest Ohio Council for Higher Education. Positions are posted in March with the goal of interviewing and hiring students before they leave for the summer.
2016 / 2017 Application Time-Line
- Late Fall/Winter - recruitment effort
- Feb/March - job postings on SOCHE site
- March/April - department interviews
- May - selections and confirmed acceptance of a position by the time the student leaves for summer break
- September - intern orientation at the beginning of the semester/interns start at the beginning of semester
Students are hired for one-year positions which begin the first week in September. The position is 28 weeks with an optional 12 week summer session. Interns are expected to work 15-20 hours per week during the school year and up to 40 hours during the summer unless otherwise specified.
Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to apply, but must be enrolled in their program full-time.
All City of Dayton interns are compensated at a rate of $10 per hour regardless of year or major. For-credit internships are not offered at this time.
How to Apply
All students are hired through the Southwest Ohio Council for Higher Education's (SOCHE) SOCHEIntern program. Students should visit Soche intern website, to create a student profile. Once a profile has been created, students can select the internships to which they would like to apply.
- View internship descriptions for 2015/2016.
- Complete postings can be found at Soche intern Website.
- Questions can be directed to our Internship Email.
Register for Updates
To sign up to receive email updates about future internship openings.