Commissioner Dean Lovelace
Current Term: 2012-2016
Previous Terms: 1993-1996; 1996-2000; 2000-2004; 2004-2008; 2008-2012.
View photos from January 3, 2012 Swearing In Ceremony
Commissioner Dean Lovelace was born in Ford City, Pennsylvania, but has been a resident of Dayton since his childhood. He currently resides in the Madden Hills neighborhood with his wife, Phyllis. They have three children: Leslie, Laeina, and Dean Nyerere; and three grandchildren: Alexis, Jaden and Lincoln.
Dean is a graduate of Jefferson Township High School. He has an Associate's Degree in Business from Sinclair Community College, a Bachelor's in Business Administration from the University of Dayton, and a Master's in Applied and Social Economics from Wright State University.
Dean was elected to the Dayton City Commission in 1993 during a special election and has continued to serve since, winning re-election for terms beginning in 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012. Dean is the longest serving member in the City Commission's history. During his time as Commissioner, Dean has focused on poverty reduction policies, anti-predatory lending efforts, living wage legislation, and local utilization of the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. He has led the Dayton Dialogue on Race Relations and has been heavily involved in youth violence reduction efforts.
Prior to his election, Dean worked for the Model Cities program, as a planner for the City of Dayton, as well as coordinator for the City's Northwest Priority Board. In 2009, after 25 years of service, Dean retired from the University of Dayton as Director of the Dayton Civic Scholars program.
Dean's community activities are an extensive testimony to his commitment to Dayton and its people. His current involvements include, but are not limited to:
- Chair, Dayton Poverty Reduction Forum, Workforce Development Task Force, and Earned Income Tax Credit Initiative
- Chair, Dayton Community Reinvestment Institute
- Board Member, National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- Board Member, CityFolk
- Board Member, Community Action Partnership of Dayton
- Board Member, Ombudsman's Office
- Board Member, Parity, Inc.
- Board Member, St. Mary Development Corporation
- Board Member, ISUS
- Member: Montgomery County Solid Waste Advisory Committee and Management Police Committee (SWAC/SWAMPC)
- Co-Founder, Dayton Dialogue for Race Relations (DDRR)
- Co-Founder, Black Leadership Development Program, Dayton Urban League
Dean's key legislative initiatives include:
City Commission Office
City Hall, Second Floor
101 W. Third Street, Dayton, Ohio 45402
email: Commissioner Lovelace