Block Party Information
Street Blockage Instructions
Neighborhood Block Parties & Street Closures for Organized Events
In order to block a residential city street, event organizers must complete a Street Blockage Permit Application form (PDF) and have it approved by the Dayton Police Department 30 days prior to the event.
The Division of Street Maintenance charges the following fees to deliver and pick up barricades:
- Neighborhood block parties - Permit fee: $50
A “Neighborhood Block Party” is defined as: An outdoor party organized by residents for the purpose of interacting informally with surrounding neighbors and which requires small sections of a city street to be temporarily blocked off.
- Street blockage for an organized event - Permit fee: $50
This permit is for any organized group (i.e., school/church/business/community organization, etc.) that sponsors an event and wishes to block a residential city street for any reason, such as birthday parties, graduation events, wedding celebrations, church socials, company picnics, etc.
Note: Fees are non-refundable and must be paid at time of application to ensure barricade delivery
Guidelines for application are:
- The event must be open to the residents of the blocked street and a majority of the residents on the block must sign the approval form.
- Street Closures can only be scheduled during daylight hours and are limited to one street block.
- Event organizers are required to set up and take down the barricades at the conclusion of the event.
- The barricade delivery fee must be submitted with application and be made payable to: the City of Dayton. Only checks and money orders can be accepted.
Barricade delivery cannot be scheduled until the permit application is approved and permit fee is paid. If the street blockage requires more than 10 barricades, there will be an additional $10 per barricade charge.
Send completed application and resident signature forms to:
Dayton Police Department
ATTN: Cindy August, NAO Supervisor
248 Salem Avenue
Dayton, OH 45406
If you have any additional questions, contact Cindy August by email or by phone at 937-333-1350.