The Landmark Commission (LMC) is established by the City Charter and is the body responsible for the oversight and control of all modifications to structures in Historic Districts and to designated landmarks. The mission of the Landmark Commission is to encourage and promote historic preservation and Historic District revitalization.
- Date: The Thursday following the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month
- Time: 4:30 p.m.
Planning and Resource Room, Mezzanine
101 W 3rd Street
Dayton, OH 45402
(937) 333 - 3635
- Preservation Officer:
(937) 333 - 4271
Dates for all Landmark Commission meetings for the coming year can be found on this downloadable calendar.
The Landmark Commission has the following responsibilities:
- The Landmark Commission reviews and acts upon all modifications to any structure, site, or area listed on the National Register of Historic Places whenever those modifications involve the use of funds entrusted to the city, the use of the city's eminent domain or urban renewal powers, or the use of the city's tax abatement authority.
- The Landmark Commission recommends designation of particular historic districts and acts upon all applications for certificates of appropriateness for modifications not specifically assigned to the Historic Preservation Officer.
- The Landmark Commission prepares and maps the official listing of Significant Historic Properties and controls them in similar fashion. In addition, the Landmark Commission classifies all structures and sites listed as eligible for or on the National Register of Historic Places outside of Historic Districts and acts upon all demolition permits for those structures or sites.
- Other duties include the preparation of legislation and programs designed to encourage and promote historic preservation and Historic District revitalization; the preparation of an annual report on its performance and plans; and an annual budget for the Landmark Trust Account.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Members of the Board
The Landmark Commission consists of seven members to be appointed by the City Commission for terms of three years. One member shall be a registered architect, three members shall be residents of a historic district or own a business within a historic district, and one member shall represent either Dayton History or Preservation Dayton, Inc. In addition, all members shall be city residents or have their principal place of business located in the city and shall have demonstrated a positive interest in historic preservation. All members of the Landmark Commission serve without compensation.
For a complete description of the application process and to download application forms, head over to our Landmark Commission Application Process webpage. The following requests will require application to and review by the Landmark Commission: major modification to a structure located in one of the City’s Historic Districts or demolition of a contributing structure in one of the City’s Historic Districts.
For application deadlines and fees, download the pdf deadline document.
How to Comment on an Application
Any person having an interest in a providing input on an agenda item may comment in the following ways:
- Emailing the Landmark Commission Secretary or Preservation Officer;
- Mailing a letter to the Landmark Commission Secretary or Preservation Officer; and/or
- Participating in one of the public hearings. Citizens will be given the opportunity to share comments or ask questions during the public comment portion of the Landmark Commission meeting.
Persons wanting to address the Landmark Commission may sign-up in person at the meeting or in advance by contacting the Landmark Commission Secretary by phone at (937) 333-3635 or by email at Elizabeth.Dakin@daytonohio.gov.
Speakers who want to address the Landmark Commission about a public hearing item will be invited to speak after the staff presentation. The Landmark Commission Chair has the authority to limit the time allotted for individual speakers.