What approvals do I need before I can legally open my business?

A Certificate of Use & Occupancy must be issued by the Building Inspection Division’s Building Official before a business can open legally. This is the last step in a process that will likely include: 1) application for a building permit, 2) approval of drawings that represent how the business space will be used and show how any construction is to take place, 3) issuance of a building permit which is a license to begin construction and/or building modifications, 4) inspections as the construction and/or modifications take place, 5) a final inspection and final approval of the project by the Building Inspection Division, Zoning Administration, and the Fire Department, and lastly, 6) issuance of the Certificate of Use & Occupancy. For assistance prior to taking step 1), above, contact the

Small Business Advocate.

Show All Answers

1. How long does the plan review process take?
2. How many copies of plans are required for a permit?
3. Is there a requirement that my plans be prepared by an Architect or an Engineer?
4. What commercial building code is used in the City of Dayton?
5. How many copies of revised plans are needed?
6. What do I need to open a child care or daycare facility?
7. What is a Certificate of Occupancy?
8. When do I need to obtain a Certificate of Use and Occupancy?
9. When does my permit expire?
10. How long do I have to make repairs to a building that has been cited as a nuisance?
11. What approvals do I need before I can legally open my business?
12. Is a Building Permit required for a parking lot?
13. Who can I talk to with questions about City requirements before I rent or buy a business property?
14. Is a building permit required to reroof a business?
15. Is a building permit required for a construction trailer?