Is there a requirement that my plans be prepared by an Architect or an Engineer?

Construction documents must bear the seal of a registered design professional except for residential construction, fire protection systems submitted under the signature of a certified individual, replacement-in-kind of equipment or systems, or where the Building Official determines that the work does not involve technical design analysis of work affecting public health or general safety in the following areas: means of egress, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing or fire protection.

A set of drawings prepared by a design professional (architect or engineer) is required to have the professional seal and date of expiration shown on the cover sheet with the professional’s signature (original and in ink) over the seal.  The seal can be embossed, stamped, or printed.  All sheets in a set of plans must also be sealed with an original signature, unless the cover sheet shows a list of drawings and contains the seal and original signature of the design professional in responsible charge.

Show All Answers

1. How long does the plan review process take?
2. How many copies of plans are required for a permit?
3. Is there a requirement that my plans be prepared by an Architect or an Engineer?
4. What commercial building code is used in the City of Dayton?
5. How many copies of revised plans are needed?
6. What do I need to open a child care or daycare facility?
7. What is a Certificate of Occupancy?
8. When do I need to obtain a Certificate of Use and Occupancy?
9. When does my permit expire?
10. How long do I have to make repairs to a building that has been cited as a nuisance?
11. What approvals do I need before I can legally open my business?
12. Is a Building Permit required for a parking lot?
13. Who can I talk to with questions about City requirements before I rent or buy a business property?
14. Is a building permit required to reroof a business?
15. Is a building permit required for a construction trailer?