Business Services & Resources
Doing Business with the Water Department
If you are suggesting a new product or service for the City of Dayton Water Department to use in its systems, please mail product and contact information to:
320 W. Monument Ave.
Dayton, OH 45402
We will contact you if we need more information or are interested in using the product or service. Vendors welcomed.
Services Provided by the Water Department
The following is a list of frequent services provided to Dayton businesses by the Dayton Water Department (The majority of the information can be found in the Standards for Taps and Services document Opens a New Window. ). To inquire about a service, call 937-333-3749, 937-333-3725 or visit the One Stop Center at 371 W. Second St.
Construction Standards & References
The Dayton Water Department requires all engineering and construction companies to adhere to strict standards and specifications. For additional documents please visit the City of Dayton Department of Planning and Community Development.
The Engineering Design Standards (PDF) outlines requirements for all work related to public infrastructure within the City of Dayton.
- Mechanical Application (PDF) - For any requests of work to be done on water utilities including tapping, plugging, relocating, repairs and plumbing, the must be filled out and submitted to Building Inspections. For more information on storm or sanitary permits, call Sewer Maintenance at 937-333-4915. For water permits, call building services at 937-333-3883.
- Permit for Privileges in Streets and Public Places Application (PDF) - For street cut permits, fill out this application and attach the requested drawing. The information can be submitted at City Hall, mailed, faxed to 937-333-4077 or emailed to David Escobar. Call 937-333-4800 for more information.
- Fire Hydrant Meter Use Permit (PDF)
Significant Industrial User
Your business may need a permit from the City of Dayton Industrial Pretreatment Program to discharge wastewater into the sanitary sewer system. Businesses that need to apply for a permit to discharge are usually classified as a Significant Industrial User (SIU). A SIU is defined as a business that:
- Is defined by the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40 as a Categorical Industry; or
- Has a process flow of 25,000 gallons per day or greater; or
- Has a process wastestream that makes up 5% or more of the hydraulic or organic loading capacity of the wastewater treatment plant; or
- Has a discharge with a reasonable potential to violate pretreatment standards.
The City of Dayton Industrial Pretreatment Program also issues other minor control documents to users which impose specific requirements or limitations on a wastewater discharge. If you are unsure as to what requirements apply to your business, contact an Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator at 937-333-1501.
The Dayton water department can provide estimates for just about any service needed on water utilities including taps. For estimates on water, storm and sanitary lines - call our Technical Services Supervisor at 937-333-3742. Our estimates only account for public right of way within City of Dayton limits. A plumber or contractor can provide estimates on private property.
Details to Have Before Calling
When calling in about estimates, please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Contact information
- Email or fax number
- Company information
- Location of the work to be done
- Size of the tap needed
- Size of the main to be tapped - if known
- A set of plans if available. Let us know if a set of plans were submitted to the city already
Inside Dayton Inspections
|Dayton||Water Engineering||Water Distribution||Dayton Plumbing Inspection|
|All taps and services to property line (including curb stop)|
|New, pickups, 1 inch and 1.5 inches service curb stop to meter (5/8 inches, 0.75 inches and 1 inch meters)|
|New, pickups, 1.5 inches and larger services curb stop to meter/fire backflow preventer or hydrant|
|Picked up services and repairs after meter|
|Repairs on services before meter - 5/8 inches to 1 inch meters|
|Repairs on services before meter -Over 1 inch meters|
|Service Replacement, main to curb stop|
|Service Replacement, after curb stop|
|Meter Pit (New) - 5/8 inches to 1 inch meter|
|Meter Pit (New) - Over 1 inch meter|
|Meter Pit (Relocate and Repair) - 5/8 inches to 1 inch meter|
Meter Pit (Relocate and Repair) - Over 1 inch meter
Plumbing (after meter)
Outside Dayton City Limits
|Outside of Dayton City Limits (in areas metered by Dayton)||Water Engineering||Water Distribution||Local Water Jurisdiction||Local Plumbing Inspection||Dayton Plumbing Inspection|
|All taps 1 inch and services to property line (including curb stop)||X||X||X|
|New, pickups, 1 inch and 1.5 inches service curb stop to meter (5/8 inches, 0.75 inches and 1 inch meters)||X||X|
|New, pickups, 1.5 inches meter and larger services main to meter/fire backflow preventer or hydrant||X||X||X|
|Picked up services and repairs after meter||X||X|
|Repairs on services before meter - 5/8 inches to 1 inch meters||X||X|
|Repairs on services before meter -Over 1 inch meters||X||X||X|
|Service Replacement, main to curb stop||X||X|
|Service Replacement - after curb stop||X||X|
|Meter Pit (New) - 5/8 inches to 1 inch meter||X||X||X|
|Meter Pit (New) - Over 1 inch meter||X||X||X|
|Meter Pit (Relocate and Repair) - 5/8 inches to 1 inch meter||X||X|
|Meter Pit (Relocate and Repair) - Over 1 inch meter||X||X||X|
|Plumbing (after meter)||X|
|Backflow Preventer (at meter)||X||X|
|Backflow Preventer (in building, not at meter)||X|
|Properties with wells||X||X||X|
If you have a concern about the quality of your water, call us at 937-333-6093 and we can come to your business to collect water samples for quality testing.